Friday, May 30, 2008

Day One, Part Two




By the grace of a pastor named Marco, we are sleeping in a house tonight, with beds and a shower. For those of you playing along at home, that means I have now taken a shower for every day I've biked. I hope someone just lost a bet.

The pictures above are of my bike, loaded with more stuff than I need, of Iris, Jon, and me with our tires in the ocean at the start of the trip, and of the sun setting in Jamestown right before we met Marco.

We ended up riding only about 25 miles today, with plans to go a lot further tomorrow. We want to cross Virginia in about 8 days, and our goal for tomorrow is to reach Ashland, where Iris knows someone we could stay with. That's about 60 miles from where we are right now. We're trying to plan only one or two days in advance.

Anyway, we're sleeping in a studio apartment that Marco and his wife have on the back of their house. I had read that people along the route were incredibly friendly and welcoming, but I'm still so surprised. He and his wife drive right up to us as we rode and offered to let us stay. Right now, Iris and I are typing, Jon is singing loudly in the shower, and our stuff is spread out all over the the floor. We need to repack and go to bed.

If internet access continues to be readily available, I will continue to regale you with thrilling tales from life on the road.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I just lost a buck...to myself.

Anonymous said...

thanks for not inviting me to read your blog! I am very upset, and will probably leave many more angry posts.
you smell.

Jack

Shane said...

Heather, I am having difficulty telling which one is yo in the picture, but I'm assuming the middle?

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! Jack sent me the link to your blog! Your trip sounds exciting and wonderfully adventurous, I'm rather jealous :)

And you are very not bad at blogging.

Good luck!

~Brooke

Anonymous said...

I'm obviously impressed by the showering! It sounds like people are treating you very well, but be careful you aren't picked up by some psycho :) P.S. It looks beautiful there! --Claire

Al said...

Yes Hx, listen to Claire and don't talk to any Psychos. We have enough in the family...
Vali - you should see my butt-BIG
Al

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
This blog is not as comprehensive as freybird. I want detailed posts of what your xc bike race diet consists of, and what your times are for each leg. I'd also like detailed pictures of your sweet custom bike.
K thx.
<3 Caity-la

Unknown said...

damn it i just lost $50. i hope that you are becoming more and more like forest gump as he travels across the country and come back with dreads. just throwing that out there. I agree with claire, avoid people with chainsaws or wwjd bumper stickers. i also agree with cait, i need more detail so i feel like im there.
<3 blechman

¡boom! said...

should you meet any psychos please remind them that the entire 1980s were a dream.



and yes, that was just a cheap ploy to turn your blog comments section into a forum for debating the meaning of BEE novels.

Unknown said...

hey htrain you should have cooked that baby for dinner