Friday, May 30, 2008

Day One

Left Alexandria at 2:00 PM on Thursday. My room is still a mess - best laid plans, etc. I just shut the door dramatically.

Last night Iris, Jon and I stayed in a house on Virginia Beach. A woman named Elsa lets TransAm cyclists stay in the house for free, so I got to sleep in a bed for one final night. Jon rolled in around 2AM after missing his flight, but still managed to set the timer on the coffee maker, which was cause for celebration this morning.

Our plan was to ride the 10 miles to Williamsburg, pick up some supplies that we forgot, and proceed to Jamestown. We're not sure where we're staying yet, but we have a tent and an instinct for survival. I'm not worried. We commemorated the start of the trip by dipping our back tires into the ocean, and then set off down the parkway. The 10 miles were mostly flat, and hauling 60+ lbs of gear was not as hard as I thought, although I'm going pretty slowly.

Right now we are sitting in a coffee shop near William and Mary. Iris brought an entire spindle of CDs with her, and is in the process of copying them onto her computer. We are mocking her, because they do not pack easily, but she insists that we will be thankful for the Buena Vista Social Club soundtrack later on down the road. Speaking of music, I put my ipod on shuffle at the start of the ride. There are about 250 songs on the ipod, and the first to come on was "Colt45" by Afroman. I do not want to consider the connotations.

I'll get better at blogging. Pictures to come.

6 comments:

Val said...

1. I'm sure Erin will be pleased to know you listened to that song first.

2. This is the only blog on which I've ever felt the need to comment.

3. Good luck, godspeed, see you soon, kbye etc etc etc

erin said...

i am pleased.

Unknown said...

Oh, flattie. I miss you already! I am excited to read your trials and tribulations!

On a more administrative note, I did want to ask you about your bathroom...should I do something about your tub? I went to put your shower stuff back and saw it.

kbye, pace (pa-che!)

Al said...

Oh H, your room is not clean??? I am shocked and appalled... Nikki, help hx out and take care of the tub would ya?
Al

Val said...

Haha Big Al had to regulate.

(That's "Big" as in big personality!)

Jodie said...

Hi Heather. VERY exciting, reading about your adventure! After your call w/Dennis yesterday, he had such a proud look on his face (because of YOU!). Have fun and stay safe.