Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Greek Life

I am blogging from a frat house at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. Iris knows a guy who knew a guy who's in a frat, so here we are, staying in a room with a futon, a hookah, and some condoms lying around. The brothers are graduating tomorrow, so it should be an interesting night. Right now I'm sitting at the "house computer", and there is a figurine of the Virgin Mary to my right. Luckily, her eyes are closed.

Last night we stayed at the house of the "Cookie Lady," and 87 year old woman who keeps a separate house for bikers to stay in. This experience warrants its own post. I'll do that later.

Today we rode 53 miles and climbed over 2500 feet. It was incredibly hard, but so beautiful. I'm glad that I'm getting to see a better side of Bat Country. Tomorrow's destination: Roanoke. The miles are getting easier and easier, especially now that we've mailed a lot of our stuff home to lighten our loads. Everyone brought a lot of extraneous gear.

We're hoping to be out of VA and into Kentucky in the next 4-5 days. I'm so excited for Kentucky - I have big dreams of bourbon and bluegrass.

Iris, Jon and I have solidified our morning routine. It goes something like this:
1. Oversleep
2. Iris wakes everyone up in a "mean mommy" tone of voice
3. Iris and I fight about something unimportant
4. Jon ignores us, and makes us breakfast
5. Iris and I pack up and eat breakfast
6. Iris and I yell at Jon for being a slow packer, even though the reason he is slow is because he makes us breakfast
7. We start to bike 3-4 hours later than we anticipated

Anyway. I am off to find dinner. I heard the rapture is going down in DC. Best of luck with that - the weather here is amazing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi flattie. Val and I chatted about our desire to see the SATC movie. We were talking about waiting til you get to Boulder. but i dont know if i'm that patient.

I got a free hot dog today at the DC United game, because we saw about 15 min of play and then it got lightning'd out.

Also, I found out something that I think you will be pleased to hear. I am bad at softball. Real bad.

Miss you!

Unknown said...

i always knew you would embrace your inner frat one day. I need a where in the world is heather stoner map thing, like carmen sandiego. perhaps a tracking device? superb.
oh and please refrain from moving to the south after this trip, youre becoming too optimistic for me.

Val said...

You stopped in Bat Country ?!!

Unknown said...

We are taking the bike chariot to RamJam (Ramsey's music fest on his farm in Elkton) this weekend. We will attempt to carry a keg on it, despite the terrain.

Wish us luck, and luck to you love.

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I think its pretty much official that Ryan Adams and Mandy Moore are together. I know you're off biking and having a coming of age ( bike journeys are totally freshman year in real lyfe) journey and being really hipster but I just really need you to do something about this.
Kthx.
Miss you.
Caitlin

Unknown said...

you really need to wear golf shoes