Friday, June 27, 2008

Tentative Top Ten

So many people have asked me the same question: "What's the coolest thing that you've seen/done on the trip?" This is a near-impossible question to answer, simply because of the diverse nature of our activities. It's hard to compare standing at the top of the St. Louis arch with being drunk at the home of the mayor of Wytheville, VA. Apples and oranges. However, since I am at a brief stopping point in my TOEQFG, I'll try to sum up, in no exact order, as best I can, the best of the best, so far:

10. Rick's White Lights Cafe in Frankfort, Kentucky. An extremely quirky cafe owned and operated by one of the most charismatic men I've ever encountered. Cheap food, illegal beer, and well worth the 2.5 hours we spent there.

9. The Kentucky border, and the subsequent views from the hills that were nothing short of incredible.

8. The impromtu stop at an Indiana winery, and the subsequent drinking of the wine in a gas station from styrofoam ice cream cups.

7. Visiting the Cookie Lady in Afton. I will never, ever forget her house or her (long-winded) words of advice.

6. Travis and his family.

5. The Blue Ridge Parkway, with its absurd steepness and amazing scenic overlooks

4. Louisville, Kentucky (and Evan, who could not have made it more fun)

3. The view from the top of the St. Louis Arch

2. The crazy chain of events that found us in the home of the mayor of Wytheville

1. Riding through Virginia and seeing (kind of) where I was born.

There's more, obviously. These are what stand out.

11 comments:

Val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

I have several things to say, since this blog is just as much for my thoughts and experiences as it is for yours.

1) Hurry and get to Boulder so you can perform housewifely tasks by day and party by night. And also "riiide the beaver", not the meatwagon. Or both?

2) You are demanding.

3) Handlebar palsy is real!

4) You need to see SATC ASAP and then discuss it with both Nikki and me (and Karin?!).

5) Cait Carouge (BU), I insist that you post more comments updating me on Mandy Moore and various other topics.

6) You haven't packed yet? Oh, H.

7) I had to delete the first comment I posted because it contained a grammatical error at which you would have bristled.

kbi

Unknown said...

Oh V,
You are dead meat.... mocking me ...

Val said...

Oh crap! I don't know which I feel more... pleased that you called me "V", as if I were one of your own, or frightened that you'll lay the Big Al smackdown on me the next time our paths cross !!!

Val said...

P.S. You said "meat"

Val said...

P.P.S. Have you considered starting a blog of your own?

Unknown said...

Vally you are ridiculous. Reading your posts is like cleaning a fridge with a piece of raw chicken.

HX <3'S MEAT

hx said...

DO I NEED TO START MODERATING COMMENTS?!?

Val said...

Heather,

http://www.filehurricane.com/photos/528200820837PM_capslock.jpg

Furthermore, you not only love, but demand comments.

Unknown said...

My Dearest V,
I am forced to take drastic action and cancel the "Margarita of the Month" membership which I had so thoughfully purchased for you...
Back to Anhauser-Busch products for you!!
Lovingly,
A

Val said...

Dear A (Mommy? M?),

I'm disappointed about the membership thing, but thankfully Anheuser-Busch has many fine products, including Natural Light and Bud Ice, for one to enjoy on a tight budget.

Perhaps next time we meet you will find it in your heart to buy me a frozen marg, and then proceed to drink me under the table.

Yours truly,
V